The Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Writing Sales Copy
Posted by Devid willam on December 11th, 2020
Before I learnt to be a copywriter I wrote sales copy for my own business. Bad sales copy. Sales copy that never got the phone ringing or my email inbox bulging, except with SPAM, despite all my desperate attempts.
It was because of my frustration that I decided enough was enough and I ought to learn to write proper copy. Back then I had no idea that I would enjoy it so much that it would spawn a new career for me.
Would you like to avoid the mistakes I made in the early days? To be honest I wish I had read a quick fire guide but perhaps it was all meant to be. After all, I now make my living helping other companies to get more clients.
exclusive on fiverr by saravali
So, my top 5 mistakes then.
1) Firstly, and this one strikes an uneasy chord with me because I used to do it all the time, don't provide a lengthy description of your product or service. Huh? What I have learned is that people are more interested in what you or your product/service can do for them. How you/it can make their life better, easier, or simpler. Example: We provide a tailor-made training experience for you. WRONG. A better alternative would be: With our courses, you train at times to suit you. No more sitting in rush hour traffic to get to the course on time.
2) Don't go on about yourself and your company. You know the sort of the thing..." we started trading in 1996 and then in 1997 we won our first major account, we were so proud that we had a big party to celebrate"...yawn. Prospects want to know you're credible and aren't going to disappear overnight but few people actually ever bother reading the company's history. Far better to summarise your achievements like winning major accounts and how you turned their company around
3) Resist the temptation to make your copy too long Yes, write loads if you want to but then edit, edit, edit. Better still get someone else to read it and edit. Ask them the question do you get why it's good to hire me or use my products and services? If they answer no, then you've got more work to do.
4) Don't fill your copy with loads of jargon and technical information. Effective written sales copy should sound just as good if you read it aloud. In other words, it's in a conversational style. I was particularly prone to doing this and used to fill my copy with long, clever words. Perhaps I thought it made me sound more knowledgable, and maybe it did, but it didn't get me any more amazon listings.
5) Finally, it's not about you, it's about your prospects/customers. It's no good thinking about what you like, what you think is good, what you want and need. Unless, of course, your ideal client is you, which is doubtful. I used to do this all the time. I would read my copy and think yes, this would appeal to me. Who cares? Am I buying from me? No. The question to ask is would this appeal to your ideal client? And how do you know if you haven't bothered to find out who he/she is? The remedy to this situation is...you've guessed it...to spend some time getting to know your ideal client.
Well, that's it. I could probably go on and on describing the various mistakes I used to make when writing copy. I will resist that temptation as I have covered, what I consider to be, the most important points.
About the AuthorDevid willam
Joined: May 8th, 2020
Articles Posted: 49
CryptoBits.Directory - Your Gateway to Crypto!
Directory filled with some of the best crypto based websites and exchanges available! Signup and get a copy of your own free referral directory!
Get Paid to Write Reviews!
BravoCoin is a review app that pays its community for writing & rating reviews of restaurants, hotels, services, movies, video games & more. Signup and claim 10 FREE Bravo coins!
CryptoTab Browser - Easy way for Bitcoin Mining | CryptoTab Browser
CryptoTab Browser is the world's first web browser with built-in mining features. Familiar Chrome user interface is perfectly combined with extremely fast mining speed. Mine and browse at the same time!
Coin Farm - online farm with money withdrawal
Coin Farm - online investment game with real money withdrawal. Buy birds, sell eggs for real money. Your passive income is here.
Download The App - Celsius
Buy, Earn & Borrow on the Blockchain. Celsius Network lets you buy coins, earn interest on your crypto and borrow against it.
CryptoSlots: $1,000,000 Jackpot & Provably Fair Games
Provably Fair games, exciting wins, huge bonuses. ★CryptoSlots★ is your crypto casino of choice. Sign up in seconds to start winning!