How To Avoid Sleep Disorders
Posted by jennylogan88 on August 26th, 2014
How To Avoid Sleep Disorders
The two major sleep disorders faced by millions of people all around the world is snoring and sleep apnea. In case, you are wondering as to how to reduce snoring, then following are a few simple methods to do so.
Diagnose your snore: You need to whether how exactly do you snore. That is with your mouth closed or open. Knowing how you snore will help you cure it as well.
- Snoring with mouth open could be caused due to sinus or postures in bed that can be cured
- Snoring with mouth closed shows that the tongue is causing the snores. It can be easily treated by a few lifestyle changes.
- If you snore from any possible positions, then this might be indicative of sleep apnea. In case you are wondering how to cure sleep apnea, then there are various medicinal treatments available for the same.
Avoid things that are worsening the snore: Consuming fatty food before bed, coffee, sleeping pills and alcohol can cause you to snore.
- The fatty tissues in the rear of your throat can also cause snoring, which can happen due to excess weight.
- Smoking can be one of the reasons behind snoring. You need to consider quitting smoking for the same.
- Regular medications can also be the reason behind snoring. Consult your doctor for the same.
Another sleep disorder is sleep apnea. Meaning of sleep apnea:
This disorder affects your breathing while you are asleep. If this disorder remains untreated, it briefly interrupted breathing while sleeping. It creates pauses in the breathing for around 20 to 10 seconds. It can happen once or twice or even throughout the night. As an outcome of which you spend less time in deep sleep and more time in light, sleep. Because of which your daily activities can be highly affected.
Chronic deprivation of sleep results in increased risks of road accidents if you drive with poor concentration, slow reflexes and daytime sleepiness. This disorder can lead to various health risks that include weight gain, stroke, heart diseases, high blood pressure and diabetes.
How to cure sleep apnea??
If in case, the condition of yours is severe to moderate and if mild, lifestyle changes and self-help strategies are not helping. Then in this case, you need to consult a doctor. A specialist can assess your symptoms and assist you in finding effective treatment. Following are treatments for complex and central sleep apnea.
- Use oxygen supplements whilst you are asleep.
- Use devices that help you to breathe and will administer the obstructive sleep apnea disorder.
- You need to get yourself firstly treated if you have any unattended underlying medical conditions. This is so, because these medical conditions can also cause sleep apnea, for instance, neuro muscular and heart disorders.
The medications in this case are available only for the treatment of sleepiness related to sleep apnea, and not the disorder itself. Hence, medications need only to be used in combination of sleep apnea treatments.