Types of thru tubing tools used in oil milling and fishing industries
Posted by jennycooper on September 28th, 2014
For organizations dealing with milling and fishing of oil and gas in Western Canada, there are a number of available choices as far as selection of service providers with apt thru tubing tools are concerned. But it is important to understand the features of these tools and their functionality so that you are able to make the right choice. For instance, composite plug milling may require a number of tools like mud motors, mills and other equipments. Here’s an overview of the different kinds of tools used for thru tubing.
There is a great demand for thru tubing solutions in the oil and gas industry worldwide, and why not. After all this is one of the backbones of this industry, based on which the operations are carried on with least possible hindrances. And, the effectiveness of thru tubing tools will decide how well the operations are carried on. The following are the 10 most important tools required for thru tubing inclusive of composite plug milling:
1. Coil connectors: These can keep the seals intact even at high pressures. This is used to connect coil tubing to BHA (bottom hole assembly).
2. Dual flapper check valves: These valves allow passage of drop balls but at the same time avoid the pressure of flow back from the wellbores. The valves thus save the surface pumps from getting pressurized unnecessarily.
3. Mud motors: These motors are resistant to side loading and repeat jarring and, hence, find wide usage on coil tubing or threaded pipe. They can serve continuously for many hours. They are important for wellbore cleanouts, composite plug milling and cement milling.
4. Heavy duty disconnect: A drop ball is used to make the toolstring detach at a pre-fixed point. As soon as the separation has been done, the circulation comes back.
5. Dual circulation subs: There are two functions of this thru tubing tool – firstly, the burst disc which may have been ruptured can be restored; secondly, the circulation sub can be opened by releasing a drop ball thereby protecting the mud motor from damage chemicals.
6. Motorhead assembly: This is an assembly of three different types of thru tubing tools including dual circulation sub, dual flapper check valves and heavy duty disconnect.
7. Blade centralizer: This is H2S tolerant and available in a single piece in a length as required. It keeps a check on the central position of the BHA in the wellbore.
8. Hydraulic jars: This is used for a number of applications such as milling, cleanout and fishing and is capable of both upward and downward strike. Due to its design and functionality, hydraulic jars are used extensively in coil tubing.
9. Venturi junk basket: These thru tubing tools include dual catchers to trap the debris with the help of a vacuum effect and hence keep the wellbore clear of any obstructions.
10. Mills: Customized mills of various shapes and designs are available to suit your oil milling and fishing purposes.
In addition to the above, there are various kinds of thru tubing tools that are used for purposes such as wellbore cleaning, composite plug milling, debris sub removals, ball seat removal, fishing and retrieval services, toe checks and confirmation runs etc.
Resource Box: There are various kinds of thru tubing tools that are used for purposes such as composite plug milling.Also See: Thru Tubing, Tubing Tools, Plug Milling, Composite Plug, Tubing, Tools, Thru
Download Plans to Build Instruments
Download these blueprints for building a professional marimba, Vibraphone, Xylophone, metalophone and Glockenspiel - all without special materials or tools.