In-network Vs Out-of-network ? A Detailed Understanding
Posted by Ecareindia on October 31st, 2014
Understanding a health insurance provider network and its types is very important, as it not only impacts the costs of the healthcare services provided, but also the Provider reimbursements. Providers and Healthcare Facilities are categorized into in-network and out-of-network. They may be contracted either with an HMO or PPO. When patients get their care from in-network Providers, their co-pays and coinsurances will be lesser. The same will be higher, if patients choose to get their care from out-of-network Providers. The medical claims processing at the Provider’s or the outsourcing medical billing company’s office also gets impacted due to this variation. Therefore, understanding the differences between these two networks is highly essential for patients, Providers, and medical billing companies.
· Providers who are contracted with patients’ insurance network are called as in-network providers. Patients visiting in-network Providers will get quality healthcare services at discounted prices.
· Co-pays and coinsurances are lesser with in-network providers.
· Patients’ healthcare plans are directly billed, if they opt for in-network providers.
· The insurance plan pays the maximum percentage of the billed amount reducing patients’ out-of-pocket costs.
In-network Medical Billing: The medical claims processing services associated with in-network providers is easier than billing out-of-network claims. In addition, patients will not be charged what is called a ‘Balance Billing’ that is usually charged for patients who are out of network.
· Providers who are not contracted with patients’ insurance network are called out-of-network providers.
· Most people do not choose out-of-network providers unless and otherwise there is an emergency.
· Co-pays, coinsurances and deductibles will be higher with out-of-network providers.
· Patients will be expected to pay the full cost for the services provided as some health plans like HMOs do not reimburse Providers who are out of network.
· Some health plans like PPO may provide coverage to out-of-network providers but in those cases, patients’ out-of-pocket costs would be higher.
Out-of-network Medical Billing: The medical claims processing services associated with out-of-network providers is quite complicated. Out-of-network providers will bill patients what is called a ‘Balance Billing.’ It is the difference between the Providers’ billed amount and the Payer’s reimbursement to the out-of-network provider.
One of the major issues faced by Providers and outsourcing medical billing companies who are out of network is that the rate of denied claims increases. Another main disadvantage is that many Payers do not accept AOBs or Assignment of Benefits between patients and Providers.
Outsourcing medical billing companies will find out-of-network medical claims processing easier if they choose to offshore medical billing.
About e-care India:
e-care India has 14 years of experience in the industry. e-care’s 3 offshore medical billing delivery centers have been providing end-to-end medical claims processing services seamlessly to its clients. To know more about e-care and its services, log on to www.ecareindia.com.
About the AuthorEcareindia
Joined: June 20th, 2011
Articles Posted: 88
Download The App - Celsius
Buy, Earn & Borrow on the Blockchain. Celsius Network lets you buy coins, earn interest on your crypto and borrow against it.
Claim 1 FREE Stock! No Purchase Necessary!
You have a 100% chance of receiving one free stock! Click to claim and have a chance to get one share of Facebook, Visa, Microsoft and others for free!
FREE App - Earn up to 25¢/gal cash back on gas!
Download this FREE app and earn cash-back when you buy gas, groceries and food! 100% FREE to join and FREE to earn cash back on your everyday purchases!
Quality Office Furniture USA Shipped Direct - Madison Liquidators
Nationwide vendor of quality office furnishings including Desks, Office Chairs, Conference Tables, Cubicles and more!
Earn HNT Tokens with a Helium Hotspot!
Pre-Order a Helium hotspot and earn HNT tokens that are redeemable for USD. Set it and forget it!
Lolli: Earn Free Bitcoin When You Shop Online!
Lolli is a rewards application that gives you bitcoin for shopping at your favorite online stores.