what should you avoid after a Tooth Extraction?
Posted by Dr Rajat Sachdeva on February 18th, 2021
After a tooth extraction your dentist will provide you with in-depth instructions for recovery of that site. It is very important to make sure you are eating the right foods as it helps in the recovery process.
What to eat after extraction:
- AFTER HAVING TOOTH EXTRACTION FOR A DAY I.E. 24 HOURS YOU CONSUME ONLY SOFT DIET.
- CHOOSE PLAIN ICE-CREAM OF YOUR FAVORITE FLAVOR BUT IT SHOULD NOT CONTAIN ANY CRUNCHY OR SOLID PIECES IN IT AS IT DOESN’T REQUIRE CHEWING AND IS COOL AND SOFT.
- YOU CAN HAVE SOUP; IT ALSO HAS HIGH NUTRIENT VALUE AND REQUIRES NO CHEWING. JUST REMEMBER TO KEEP SMALL PIECES OF COOKED PIECES AS MINIMUM AS POSSIBLE.
- JUICES AND SMOOTHIES CAN BE CONSUMED IN THE RECOVERY TIME OF TOOTH EXTRACTION. IT IS LESS IRRITATING TO HEALING GUMS AS WELL.
- YOGURT AND PUDDINGS CAN ALSO BE TAKEN AFTER TOOTH EXTRACTION.
- AFTER 24 HOURS, ONE CAN EAT FOODS LIKE MASHED POTATOES, SCRAMBLED EGGS, BOILED RICE ETC, THE FOOD THAT ARE NOT HARD ON CHEWING.
Food should not be consumed hot, it should be lukewarm.
What not to eat after extraction:
- FOR AT LEAST A DAY AFTER TOOTH EXTRACTION HARD FOOD SHOULD BE AVOIDED.
- HARD AND ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES MUST NOT BE CONSUMED TILL THE RECOVERY AFTER EXTRACTION.
- STICKY FOODS OR CRUNCHY FOOD STUFFS LIKE CARAMEL, NUTS, AND DRY FRUITS MUST BE AVOIDED. IT MAY GET STUCK IN THE PLACES IN THE MOUTH THAT ARE HEALING.
- SPICY FOOD SHOULD BE AVOIDED AS IT IS REALLY BAD IN THE RECOVERY PERIOD AFTER TOOTH EXTRACTION, IT MAY CAUSE IRRITATION AND PAIN IF CONSUMED.
- YOU SHOULD AVOID EATING FOOD THAT NEEDS A LOT OF CHEWING SUCH AS POULTRY, PORK, BEEF ETC.
It is also important to know how to eat the food after extraction. As you will be consuming liquids more than solids and it would be tempting to use a straw, but it is advisable not to use a straw as it may displace the blood clot formation which is important after an extraction. Also you chew on the opposite side from the healing site.
Tag = best dental clinic in Delhi, dental clinic in Delhi, Tooth Extraction