Mold Removal: Overview
Posted by Melanie Randall on April 22nd, 2021
Unwanted mold growth in a home or business can pose a serious threat to the health of those who live or work near it. It can also cause severe structural damage if left untreated. In extreme cases, mold removal can be a very large job that requires extensive work and even demolition.
How Mold Thrives
Mold requires two main components to grow and spread: organic materials and moisture. Organic materials, like wood, carpet, drywall, fabric, and even dust, are perfect for mold. Combine these materials with a water leak or an excessively humid room and mold is likely to grow.
Mold can cause a number of negative health outcomes for people who live or work near it. According to the Centers for Disease Control, mold can cause a wide range of physical reactions. Some of the less severe symptoms include itchy eyes, stuffy nose, wheezing, or skin irritation. For people who are more sensitive to mold or who have underlying health concerns, like asthma, mold can be a serious threat to their health. Severe symptoms include fever, shortness of breath, upper respiratory tract symptoms, and severe cough. It is important for any and all traces of mold are removed from any building that people are living or working in.
Mold Removal Process
Each mold remediation company has a slightly different method of removing mold, but they are all trying to achieve the same goal: removal of all traces of mold in the building. It is also important that the cause of the mold is fixed so mold will not regrow. Full-service mold remediation companies are able to repair the source of the moisture, replace damaged materials, and remove the mold.
Most mold remediation companies will take these steps to ensure the building is safe to live or work in:
1) Assess the amount of mold and the damage the mold has caused. In some cases, mold can grow out of sight, like between the walls.
2) Isolate the area from the rest of the home or office. In order to ensure that mold spores do not move throughout the space during cleaning, it is very important that the area is properly isolated.
3) Fix the problem that is causing the mold. This is probably a water leak or a poorly ventilated room that accumulates moisture (like a bathroom).
4) Remove materials that cannot be cleaned. In some cases, mold has started to grow in carpets, rugs, and other materials that are difficult to clean. These must be safely disposed of and replaced.
5) Clean and remove all traces of mold.
Heat Treatment for Mold Remediation
Heat treatment is a very effective method of mold removal. The targeted area is heated with specialized equipment to a temperature that effectively kills mold spores. There are many benefits to this method, including:
• Penetrates all areas, including cracks and between the walls;
• Eliminates insects at the same time;
• Dries out any moisture that mold thrives on;
It is important that mold is removed by a professional mold remediation company as soon as it is detected. Mold grows quickly and can spread fast. A small mold issue can become a big headache in a short period of time.
Alliance Environmental Group is one of the leading environmental companies in California offering services including asbestos removal, mold remediation, lead paint removal, demolition, air duct, dryer vent, site, and kitchen exhaust hood cleaning, power washing, infection control, structural pasteurization, trauma, methamphetamine lab, and hoarding cleanup. For more information, visit https://info.alliance-enviro.com/blog.