Getting The Most Out Of Military Benefits
Posted by Nick Niesen on October 27th, 2010
Imagine being halfway through college without cracking a textbook. Need a mentor? About 250,000 are standing by to help in your job search. Buying a home? How does no down payment sound? These are examples of the billions of dollars in military benefits available to service members and veterans. However, these extraordinary benefits often go unused or overlooked.
A new book called "The Military Advantage: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Military & Veterans Benefits" (Simon & Schuster, $20) could help the 30 million men and women who served unlock those benefits and make the most of their military experience.
The guide is full of insider tips, little-known benefits and shortcuts. It addresses the ins and outs of the system, identifying what can be claimed-or lost if left unclaimed. It offers tips like these:
GI Bill and Scholarships
• You may have up to $50,000 in educational funding just waiting to be used.
• Military experience can count toward college credits-you may be only a few credits shy of an associate's degree.
• There are $300 million in scholarships for military members, spouses and children; in some cases these cover full tuition.
VA Home Loans
A VA home loan offers advantages not associated with other types of loans. They include:
• Upper limit of $417,000 with no down payment required in most cases.
• No monthly mortgage insurance premium.
• Veterans with disabilities may have their loan fees waived.
• Veterans with permanent and total service-connected disabilities may be eligible for a grant up to $50,000 to adapt a house to meet their disability needs.
The book explains career services available to veterans, including:
• A nationwide, free mentoring service to quickly network with 250,000 other service members, veterans and spouses.
• Where to find online tools to translate your military skills to civilian terms to find jobs related to your military specialty.
• Tips on hot careers. Keep your security clearance active-civilian workers with clearance earn 24 percent more than their counterparts and there's never been a greater demand in classified programs.
• How to flag your resume for military-friendly employers.
About the AuthorNick Niesen
Joined: April 29th, 2015
Articles Posted: 33,847
Claim 1 FREE Stock! No Purchase Necessary!
You have a 100% chance of receiving one free stock! Click to claim and have a chance to get one share of Facebook, Visa, Microsoft and others for free!
FREE App - Earn up to 25¢/gal cash back on gas!
Download this FREE app and earn cash-back when you buy gas, groceries and food! 100% FREE to join and FREE to earn cash back on your everyday purchases!
Quality Office Furniture USA Shipped Direct - Madison Liquidators
Nationwide vendor of quality office furnishings including Desks, Office Chairs, Conference Tables, Cubicles and more!
Earn HNT Tokens with a Helium Hotspot!
Pre-Order a Helium hotspot and earn HNT tokens that are redeemable for USD. Set it and forget it!
Lolli: Earn Free Bitcoin When You Shop Online!
Lolli is a rewards application that gives you bitcoin for shopping at your favorite online stores.
Fold - Earn free bitcoin when you shop
Earn bitcoin cashback rewards when you shop at top retailers, including Amazon, Uber, Starbucks, Chipotle, and more. Download the app, sync your payment method and start earning bitcoin today!