Singapore criminal lawyers

Posted by vendelajar on October 14th, 2015

The legal system of the Singaporean Republic is a common law system; the criminal law of Singapore is largely constitutional in nature. The general elements and principles of the criminal law along with the penalties for common criminal acts like theft, murder, etc. are embarked in the Penal Code.

Singapore criminal lawyers have a compound role and hence act both as a solicitor and a barrister. After 2009, the qualifying procedure to become a Singapore criminal lawyer was rationalized, restructured and also simplified. Today, all the people who have a mind bent on practicing the criminal law in Singapore need to be over 21 years of age and also be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident.

Singapore criminal lawyer

As far as the educational credentials are concerned, to become a criminal lawyer, the applicants must attain at least a Lower Second Class Honours degree from any of the approved universities and complete the entire course of study in at least three academic years and that too as a full-time internal candidate from that particular approved university. Applicants should also consult the Ministry of Law if they had obtained their law degree prior to the year 1993.

As per the law degree gained by the students, they are asked to complete the different parts of the Bar course that too is a mandatory thing to become a Singapore criminal lawyer. Students with an approved law degree from abroad are also required to complete this course. The only difference is that they need to complete both Part A and Part B of the Bar Course and Examination. But, Students who have gained a law degree from Singapore approved universities need to complete just the Part B of the Bar course and the Bar examination. The prospective Singapore criminal lawyers need to fulfill all the requirements to become a well-established one with a valid license to work.

Like it? Share it!


About the Author

Joined: May 23rd, 2014
Articles Posted: 53

More by this author