Ceramic Armor Market Is Expected To Expand At A CAGR Of 7.2%
Posted by rahul nikade on July 27th, 2022
Ceramic Armor Industry Overview
The global ceramic armor market size is estimated to reach USD 3.04 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., presenting a 7.2% CAGR during the forecast period. The market is driven by increasing unrest among countries, cross-border disputes, and terrorist activities, which creates the need for advanced protection systems for soldiers as well as combat vehicles. Advancements in material technologies and manufacturing techniques are driving adoption of ceramic as armor materials.
Ceramic Armor Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global ceramic armor market based on material, application, platform, and region:
Based on the Material Insights, the market is segmented into Alumina, SiC, Ceramic Metal Composite, Boron Carbide, Others.
- In 2016, alumina dominated the market in terms of revenue as the material is widely used by armor manufacturers. Alumina provides cost - benefit ratio, which features high refractoriness, high modulus of elasticity, and high hardness. Boron carbide is primarily used in ceramic plates, which are used in armored helicopters and body armors to protect against smaller projectile.
- Stringent regulations have been laid down for the use of armor materials owing to their criticality of operations. Design and performance standards are governed by various regulatory authorities. For instance, in the U.S., the performance of materials used for armors is subject to compliance with standards given by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ).
Based on the Platform Insights, the market is segmented into Defense, Homeland Security, Civilians.
- The civilian segment is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period. Governments across regions are considering passing laws on the use of body armor by civilians, owing to increasing terror attacks and public mass shootings.
- The defense sector accounts for the largest share in the ceramic armor market as the material finds wide application in the defense sector, for protection of soldiers, vehicles, and building infrastructure.
- Demand from homeland security is primarily driven by increasing levels of violence in major parts of the world. Ceramic is used in body armors to provide protection to firefighters and rescue teams against unprecedented attacks and violence.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Body Armor, Aircraft Armor, Defense Armor, Marine Armor.
- Increasing defense spending and extent of militarization in major countries of the world have stimulated demand for high - performance products and materials. Defense agencies are focusing on enhancing their capabilities owing to increasing cross - border instability and war - like situations.
- In 2017, the defense segment dominated the market in terms of revenue and is estimated to retain its dominance over the forecast period owing to high demand for advanced ceramic armor in defense applications. Moreover, focus on soldier safety and soldier survivability is boosting demand for modular tactical vests and double - sided combat uniforms.
- The body segment is expected to register the highest growth, attributed to demand for the same from homeland security departments across the globe. In U.S. and Europe, there is an increasing trend of providing body armor to first responders such as firefighters, police officers, and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) personnel.
Ceramic Armor Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Vendors also form contractual relationships with defense agencies for long - term product supply. For instance, in March 2018, Ceradyne Inc. received an order worth USD 34 million from the U.S. army for the continuous supply of Integrated Head Protection Systems (IHPS) ballistic helmets. This investment increased the company’s IHPS contract value to over USD 52 million.
Some prominent players in the global ceramic armor market include
- Ceradyne (U.S.)
- SAAB AB (Sweden)
- ArmorWorks (U.S.)
- CeramTec (Germany)
- CoorsTek Inc. (U.S.)
- Koninklijke Ten Cate BV (Netherlands)
- M Cubed Technologies (U.S.)
- Olbo & Mehler (Germany)
- Safariland LLC (U.S.)
Order a free sample PDF of the Ceramic Armor Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.