Eye Tracking Market Projected To Have Valuation Worth USD 8.06 Billion By 2030
Posted by rahul nikade on August 25th, 2022
Eye Tracking Industry Overview
The global eye tracking market size is expected to reach USD 8.06 billion by 2030, registering a CAGR of 33.4% over the forecast period, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Vision capturing systems determine the duration and the exact location of the user’s visual attention. The system includes recording the pupil movement, determining the fixation point and duration, processing the data & images, and filtering the relevant data using software algorithms. The filtered data can be analyzed and used for various applications in the automotive, consumer electronics, healthcare, and retail industries. Eye movement detection is one of the most important features integrated into VR headsets. In July 2016, Fove, Inc. launched its eye-tracking VR headset to directly incorporate the eye-tracking sensors into the headset to monitor the user’s gaze.
Eye Tracking Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global eye tracking market report based on type, component, location, application, and region:
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into eye attached tracking, optical tracking and electrooculography
- The optical tracking segment led the market with a revenue share of more than 52.00% in 2021. Arise in demand for optical tracking systems in VR and AR is because the optical tracking system can capture both active and passive motion of a full body, which enables Virtual Reality (VR ) to gather additional information about the participant’s position.
- The optical tracking system does not require the attachment of wires or anything else to the object being monitored. There is no requirement for a physical connection between the tracked object and the real environment.
- Optical tracking also enables many entities to be tracked at the same time.
- The eye-attached tracking sub-segment is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR from 2022 to 2030.
- Eye-attached capturing devices are similar to contact lenses embedded with magnetic or mirror sensors, which can keep tracing the vision irrespective of the head movement. It can track visual movement in vertical, torsion, and horizontal directions.
- An eye-attached vision capturing system would be particularly ideal for the healthcare, research, retail, and consumer electronics sectors, as vision capturing remains uninterrupted even if the user moves his head slightly or sets in motion.
- Electrooculography (EOG) technique can detect and track vision movement through electric signals obtained from contact electrodes placed on the skin around the eyes.
- The EOG technique allows tracking vision in darkness or even when the eyes are closed. The method is beneficial in researching human behavior during sleep.
- The sight gaze detection capability of the EOG system is not as accurate as of the optical tracking system, which envisages using infrared technology to detect gazing.
Based on the Components Insights, the market is segmented into hardware and software
- The hardware segment dominated the market with a revenue share of 60.01% in 2021. The software segment is estimated to grow at the fastest CAGR over the forecast period.
- Hardware and software components of the vision capturing system vary according to the properties of the tracker.
- In the case of eye-attached tracking, the hardware components include a head-mount vision capturing system with cameras and sensors, an eye-tracking glass or lenses, and an external or internal storage device for recording and storing the data captured by the vision trackers.
- Software is integrated within a remote desktop that receives the data from the head-mounted system.
- In the case of optical capturing or video-based trackers, the hardware components are similar to the eye-attached tracing system. They comprise the Eye Tracking Device (ETD), including a desktop, an external or internal storage device, a camera for recording the visual movement & gaze point, and optical sensors for detecting & tracking the visible movement.
- However, the software is integrated within the ETD for processing and analyzing the data captured by the cameras and sensors. For instance, in August 2020, SR research launched EyeLink 1000 plus, which has a high-speed camera and is capable of recording eye movements at up to 2000 frames per second.
- This allows researchers to obtain high-quality eye-tracking data in various environments. After data filtration and processing, results derived from analytical tools are used for various purposes.
- In the automotive sector, the analyzed data is used for enhancing the Human Machine Interface (HMI) system and other purposes, such as alerting the driver for being inattentive while driving.
Based on the Location Insights, the market is segmented into remote and mobile
- The remote segment led the market with a revenue share of more than 62.00% in 2021. In remote/screen-based vision tracking, the respondents have to be in front of the ETD in a stationary position.
- However, mobile vision trackers are head-mounted to the respondents to capture the vision movement continuously, irrespective of the respondents moving their heads or being in motion.
- A remote sight capturing system is deployed to analyze respondents’ behavior or observe an object from a 2-dimensional perspective and may require an advanced setup for a 3-dimensional study.
- Mobile trackers are deployed when the respondents need to be free to make movements, for example, while studying the consumer behavior or when the object needs to be observed from a 3-dimensional perspective.
- The remote tracker system sub-segment accounted for a larger revenue share in 2021 and is projected to continue dominating the market over the forecast period.
- The mobile tracking system sub-segment, on the other hand, is anticipated to grow at the fastest CAGR from 2022 to 2030, particularly due to the growing adoption of vision tracing technology in commercial applications.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into healthcare, retail, research, automotive, consumer electronics and others
- The healthcare segment dominated the market with a revenue share of more than 25.00% in 2021. The initial adoption of gaze capturing in healthcare was limited to a computer interface for patients suffering from mobility disabilities and other communication issues.
- Technology is increasingly being adopted as an input mechanism in consumer electronics and gaming devices. By application, the market has been divided into healthcare, retail, research, automotive, consumer electronics, and others.
- The others sub-segment includes the use of vision tracing systems by the government and the defense sector.
- Eye-tracking is playing a significant role in the development of the automotive sector. With the increasing demand for automotive vehicles and Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications in the automotive sector, the demand for eye tracking is also increasing.
- Eye-tracking has become a key DMS technology that has replaced traditional approaches over time, and the reason is this technology allows eyelid movement analysis and gaze direction.
- There is also increased demand for eye-tracking devices in the retail FMCG sector. Eye-tracking devices and their algorithms are used to understand consumer behavior at retail stores.
- The algorithms help determine what product layout is most likely to prompt a purchase at a store, how long a customer spends browsing a product, and what packaging gives the most product information for the customer’s benefit.
- The consumer electronics sub-segment is expected to grow at a considerable CAGR over the forecast period.
- The sub-segment is projected to witness the fastest growth in the Asia Pacific region, with Japan, China, and India, being the most dominant markets.
- Game designers leverage the vision gaze technology to enhance the User Interface (UI) design and provide smarter modes of UI modalities and gameplay interaction sensitive to the user’s mood and behavior.
- In the automotive industry, ETDs alert the driver of inattentiveness while driving to prevent road accidents.
- In the healthcare sector, eye tracking systems are being used by surgeons as hands-free controls to communicate using sight movement through the HMI platform.
Eye Tracking Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Most of the market players adhere to mergers & acquisitions to address the challenges associated with in-house R&D and enhance their product portfolios.
Some of the prominent players in the global eye tracking market include:
- Tobii AB
- SR Research Ltd.
- iMotions A/S
- Gazepoint Research Inc.
- EyeTech Digital Systems, Inc.
- EyeTracking, Inc.
- Mirametrix Inc.
- Seeing Machines Ltd.
- Smart Eye AB
- LC Technologies, Inc.
Market Industry Development
- April 2021: Tobii collaborated with NVIDIA to enhance VR image quality in VRSS2. After the integration, the company launched the HP Reverb G2 omnicept edition of HP’s VR headset, and the headset has both Tobii Eye Tracking and NVIDIA VRSS 2.
- August 2017: Microsoft Corp. and Tobii AB entered into a strategic partnership to jointly release a product called ‘Eye Control,’ a featured in-box experience leveraging vision gaze supported by Windows 10.
- May 2017: Tobii Pro, the research wing of Tobii AB, acquired Sticky, a company offering a cloud-based solution that enables large-scale market research studies using webcam vision capturing.
Order a free sample PDF of the Eye Tracking Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Follow Us: LinkedIn | Twitter