Fun Facts About Your Favorite Moist Old Fashioned Pound Cake
Posted by morrisjohn473 on September 27th, 2016
The good old pound cake is one sweet treat we all drool over. Whether we bake it or bring it home for a celebration, it never fails to impress. And we should be thankful to the very cake tradition that lets us enjoy this amazing dessert.
But there is a lot to learn about the cake and this list is right here for your quick reference. So, the next time you buy fresh old fashioned pound cake, you can take pride in knowing more than just its taste or recipe.
- Dating back to the early 17th century, the moist old fashioned pound cake was a British creation that was either baked in a loaf pan or a Bundt mold.
- There is something called a National Pound Cake Day which is celebrated on March 4 every year.
- There are alternate names given to this dessert such as Madeira cake and Sponge cake.
- There are at least four to five different versions of the old-fashioned cake which are named according to the region they are traditionally made. These variations include the French pound cake, the German pound cake, Venezuelan and Colombian style pound cake, Mexican style pound cake and the American south style version. The variations are brought our after the swapping, addition or elimination of one or more ingredients. For example, in certain recipes, a lot of flavoring agents are added and in others, you’d enjoy nuts and dry fruits in every bite.
- The name of the cake comes from its original old-fashioned recipe that had to make use of just one pound of flour in one pound of butter combined with a pound of sugar and a pound of eggs! So, that also means that the original recipe produced quite a huge size of cake that would be consumed by many people.
- In several older variations, the recipes also included the addition of alcohol and citrus juice.
- Decades ago, a group of nine women in West Tennessee decided to share the sweetness of the pound cake in the sweetest way possible. These women used to wake up at four in the morning and paid bills or bought clothes for the needy, anonymously. Then, they would secretly send those people care packages that contained a homemade pound cake and a note that said “Somebody loves you”. They did this for 30 long years, without even letting their husbands know about it!
Author’s bio: The author is a blogger. This article shares interesting facts about the moist old fashioned pound cake.Also See: Pound Cake, Old Fashioned, Fashioned Pound, Moist Old, Pound, Cake, Old