Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) Blocks: A Novel Paradigm in Construction Indus
Posted by divyaseo on March 14th, 2017
There has been an increased concern towards environmental sustainability which enables the needs of human beings to be met without jeopardizing the delicate environmental balance and preserving the flora and fauna. The infrastructure industry has incorporated many sustainable solutions especially pertaining to construction related supplies with an aim to offer cost effective, luxurious as well as ecologically sustainable green technologies. One such pioneering green technology is that of autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) blocks which offer immediate savings supported by top notch services.
The autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) blocks have pioneered green technologies in the infrastructure industry with a goal to achieve high standards in value, performance and delivery pertaining to the infrastructure industry.
The construction industry has since long being accused by environmentalists and related groups of employing building materials as well as processes which are detrimental to the environment. The autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) blocks have been developed to address the issue of environmental pollution and revolutionized the construction industry by striving to achieve bankable energy efficiencies.
Before delving into the various features as well as benefits of the AAC blocks, let’s first define this building material. The autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) blocks is a construction material that includes elements of different sizes which together takes shape of a building structure. Most often, every aspect of structural as well as insulation needs of the building are taken care of by one material.
Features of autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) blocks:
- Energy efficient: The AAC blocks are fully green construction material of choice employed in LEED certified structures. Least amount of energy and material is used to develop these blocks with fly ash forming the major constituent of the blocks.
- Pest resistant: The AAC blocks render foolproof construction with solid walls and superior finishes which are resistant to insects, ants, termites, rodents and such other nuisances. Furthermore, the inorganic mineral composition checks the proliferation of mold.
- Air and water resistant: The very minute structure of these blocks is resistant towards any capillary action in case of rains. Also, the silicone based additives increase water resistance. The use of non organic ingredients in the blocks prevents rotting and molding therein paving the way for hygienic and stink free interiors.
- Durability: The AAC blocks have been in use for over 70 years across the globe which speaks volumes about its durability under extreme climatic and chemical scenarios.
- Fire Resistant: The composition of AAC blocks is such that a 10 cm block is resistant to fire for upto 4 hours and a 15 cm block shows upto 6 hours of fire resistance according to BS-5628-3 standards. This resistance is almost double the protection offered by conventional construction material. The AAC blocks are particularly suitable for protecting structural steel against fire and easily surpass the Indian Building Code requirements.
- Economical with hassle free installation: Since the AAC blocks are bigger and lighter than the traditionally used blocks they can be easier as well as quicker to install. Since a thin layer of mortar is required to plaster the blocks, the mortar as well as plastering cost is significantly reduced with elimination of thermal bridging.
- Usability: The AAC blocks resemble the properties of wood and therein can be sawed, drilled, nailed as well as chiseled. The material is such that there is no clipping and cracking while making any alterations. Also, no special equipment is needed during alterations to the blocks. There is also less litter at the construction site which enables to keep the site clean.
- Earthquake resistant: The AAC blocks are light in weight and highly stable structures with an ability to show noteworthy resistance to earthquake jolts. These blocks can also withstand wind load of tropical storms of category 5.
- Sound proofing capabilities: The low air porosity attributed to the very minute non interconnected air cells offer good sound proofing and hence used as a sound barrier wall across busy roads.
Benefits of Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) Blocks:
The benefits of AAC blocks can be accrued by their inherent structural composition:
- Cost benefit: There is an estimated savings of 2.5 % for AAC based systems over conventional construction materials due to lower structural costs.
- Quick Construction: As the AAC blocks are lighter and larger than the conventional construction blocks, a time benefit of 20% can be accrued on construction.
- Function and up keep: The AAC blocks accrue a significant 30% savings in energy costs as well as offer high insulation properties.
- Green Building fabric: Since the AAC blocks were developed with the very aim of environmental sustainability, they offer lower environmental impact during development, construction as well as up keep therein being known as green building material.