What Are The Eligibility And Career Options For Medical Officer In India
Posted by jacob17 on July 6th, 2017
Medical professional serves as the most demanded criteria in India and lot of student aspire to become a medical officer in private or government medical center. However, it is not possible for everyone to pass the medical degree examination that happens after class 12. The entry in the medical sector is slightly tough, but once you get in, there is no looking back.
As a medical officer, you will lot of career option which can make you highly successful adorned with an enormous amount of salary. However, you need to have proper eligibility to become a medical officer.
Eligibility Criteria for Medical Officers in India
The eligibility criterion for medical officers in India is quite simple, and you need have India, Nepal, Bhutan or Tibetan refugee. These standards are necessary for both government and private medical centers and without this one can't get any job.
To apply in UPSC combined medical service examination and other medical exams; you need to have 50 % marks in the bachelor of medicine or bachelor of surgery degree. This same criterion is also applied for other medical examination conducted for private medical centers. The minimum percentage remains same every year, but for SC, ST, and OBC the percentage varies.
The age criteria to become a medical officer starts from 21 years and end at 32 years. However, candidates belonging to scheduled caste, scheduled tribe, other backward class, belonging to the state of Jammu and Kashmir, defense service personnel, handicapped and ad-hoc doctors will get relaxation more five years.
The candidate should be medically and physically fit for a medical officer. If you successfully pass the UPSC-CMC examination, then you will be placed directly in government medical center.
Carrier Option for the Medical Officers in India
Many people think that there isn't the vast availability of career option after MBBS but in reality, there are a lot of options for medical officers in India. The following points will depict some of those career options:
- Getting into government or private health centers serves as a common career option for many medical officers. At first, they have to practice as junior medical officers so that they can gain knowledge from seniors. Government agencies send qualified medical officers to rural areas where they serve as a practitioner. If you register in job portal sites, you will get medical officer job offers from those sites.
- As a medical officer, you can opt for masters in public health which serve as a smart career option because the demand for this degree is increasing day by day. Many medical centers are recruiting medical officers who have skills and degree in masters of public health.
- MD, MS or Diploma are another popular career option opted by many medical officers in India after finishing this career option, you can get medical officer job through ONGC Recruitment with a huge salary. Through MD or MS, you get prepared as specialist doctors who always stay in high demand.
- Diploma of National Board is one of the best career options for medical officers because after finishing this course you will be appointed as a specialist in the medical center. DNB course offered by National Board of Examinations and it is accredited by MCI. It provides a promising career for many medical officers.
- As a medical officer, you can also opt for post-graduation course in foreign universities, but every institution has different procedures for admission. You can get opt for post-graduation in countries like the USA, Australia, Ireland, China, UAE, Germany, Australia, etc.
- One can even opt for clinical research because there is an immense demand for clinical researchers in India as well as other countries. ICMR, CCMB, CIMAP, etc. provide opportunities for medical officers to join them and excel this career. With proper qualification and marks a clinical researcher can also join WHO which is a dream for many medical officers.
- Masters in health administration is a useful career option where medical officers get the necessary skills to manage hospitals, insurance companies, clinics, etc. Many top companies health enterprises recruit these candidates and pay them an enormous amount of salary. This sector provides a good growth for aspirants as they can lot of skills along with money.
- Nowadays medical officers with MBA degree are gaining immense popularity, and many top medical institutes are paying a huge salary to these professionals. Institutes like IIM, MDI Gurgaon, FMS Delhi, and XLRI Jamshedpur are offering MBA degree to medical officers.
With heavy dependence towards technology, masters in the medical science and the technology career option is gaining limelight. Medical officers gain knowledge in medical biotechnology, healthcare imaging, Bioinformatics, etc. The demand for these professionals is increasing in private research institutes.