How I Can Claim Housing Benefit

Posted by Vidit Agarwal on May 18th, 2018

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is a social security benefit in the money in the UK to help you with your housing costs if you are on a low income and stay in rented accommodation. It can help can help with rent and some other service charges.  This was launched in 1982 and you can qualify for this help whether you are in or out. Your housing benefit is also known as Local Housing Allowance.

How much money will I get?

This depends on several of the things. If you are rent a property or room from a private landlord, your maximum Housing Benefit depends on your saving, who you live with, how much rent you pay and this will be calculated with the Local Housing Allowance rules. You can find more information see local housing allowance. There are various housing cost covered under the housing benefit, as below:

  • Your savings
  • Who you live with
  • Paying rent to a private landlord
  • How many rooms you have in your home
  • Living in a hostel
  • Disability or carer’s benefits (Carer’s Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment).

It doesn't include the costs of:

  • Your meals
  • Your Council tax
  • Your Water charges
  • For Heating and lighting
  • For Laundry
  • Cleaning your room
  • For Gardening
  • Garages or car parking space
  • Your Personal care and support

How do I claim?

This can be claimed by the people who rent their homes or who part-rent through shared ownership. You can claim Housing Benefit if you are already claiming other benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance.

Want to know more?

If you would like to know more about the housing benefit and its process in the UK, you can explore this page to find its FAQs:

  • What is Housing Benefit?
  • How much Housing Benefit will I receive?
  • How do I claim?
  • How could Housing Benefit help me?
  • Am I eligible to claim Housing Benefit?

You can enquire more about Housing benefit number 0800 055 6688 to make a new claim, eligibility and report a change.

Original Source:

Like it? Share it!

Vidit Agarwal

About the Author

Vidit Agarwal
Joined: March 9th, 2018
Articles Posted: 84

More by this author