How to Play Points Rummy
Posted by Karthikumar on September 11th, 2018
It all comes down to zero!
If you have been playing online rummy for a while then you are probably familiar with its various variants such Points rummy, Pool Rummy and Deals rummy. The basic format for all these games remains the same, with a few details changed.
What is Points Rummy?
Points rummy is one of the most popular variants of the Indian 13-card rummy and also the most fast-paced. In this rendition of rummy, points are assigned to every card. There is one winner who takes home all the cash in the end. The winnings include the sum total of points of all the opponents multiplied by the pre-determined value of the points minus the rake (Rummy Central fees).
What are the rules for Points Rummy?
- Every card has a certain number of points assigned to it. The objective of the game is to have the least number of points. The person with 0 points is declared the winner.
- The player that loses the game gets points equal to their hand score.
- Face cards i.e. J, Q, K and Ace are of 10 points each.
- The numbered cards carry the same value as their rank. For example - 5 carries 5 points, 4 carries 4 points and so on.
How do the points work?
Based on the standard rules of 13-card Indian rummy, the points and game-play in this variant of rummy work in the following way:
- The player picks a card either from the open or closed deck whenever his/her turn comes.
- They player must make his/her move in time allotted failing which that turn is discarded and is called a ‘missed move’. In case a player misses three consecutive turns, they are dropped from the game. He/she also gets 40 points - which is the middle drop score.
- Once a player is dropped, the rest of the players continue playing. In case the game was only between two people, the opponent wins by default.
- A player must pick a card first and then discard a card in order to finish a move.
- There is a maximum of 25 moves per game allotted to each player post which all must declare their sets/sequences. A maximum of 30 minutes is assigned for the completion of the game.
- Jokers are all assigned 0 points.
- A losing player's hand is scored by adding points for cards that are not grouped as
- In a game a player gets a maximum of 80 points only. For example, if a player's score is 90 the maximum score he can get is still 80 only. In case a player does not declare cards that meet all the objectives of the game, he/she is dropped from the game with 80 points.
When does one win a game of Points Rummy?
- The minimum points a losing player can get in this case is 2 (for scores 2, 3, 4, & 5).
- The maximum points for a losing player in this case are 40 (for scores 80 or more)
- If a player misses 3 turns in a row i.e. he/she is unable to take a decision on what card to move, he/she is dropped from the game automatically. A middle drop score of 40 points is assigned to this player. If a player meets the objective of the game but does not (or forgets to) declare, he/she gets a score of 2 points.
- In order to finish the game, the player has to discard a card on the open deck slot. A player must show the cards in hand by grouping them in sets/sequences. Once done, the player can click the 'Declare' button.
- Any player who fails to declare by grouping the cards in hand in the allotted time is dropped from the current game and is given 80 points as penalty.
In order to understand the game of rummy thoroughly, kindly visit our ‘how to play’ section. We recommend playing at our free tables first and then moving on to our cash tables.