Lesser Known Advantages of Rigid Foam Insulation
Posted by InstaPanels on September 26th, 2018
Are you looking for an innovative material for your building and construction needs? Rigid foam insulation is here! It is made with durable materials that have insulating and moisture managing properties. There are a variety of benefits that rigid foam insulation offer to building and construction. Take a look at some of them:
- Half of the energy used in a typical home in the United States is in heating and cooling. There’s a lot of heat loss and air leaks that happens, due to which more energy is consumed to maintain the desired temperature. This leads to high energy bills. Rigid foam insulation significantly reduces air leaks and heat loss. This requires less energy to be consumed in order to maintain the temperature, which makes the home much more energy efficient.
- Moisture in walls can increase mold and mildew, not to forget they produce allergens, irritants and other toxic substances that could cause serious health concerns. Properly installed rigid foam boards can prevent moisture from seeping in and building up by providing a layer of protection against moisture.
- Manufacturers of these rigid foam boards usually add flame retardants to their products to help prevent fires from starting and spreading. They provide great defense when it comes to fire safety protect the owners and occupants of a building or house from fire-related injuries and tragedies.
- Along with increasing the structural stability of your home, they also offer great insulation features. Since these boards are made of closed cell foam boards, they can insulate roofs, floors, walls, and even the foundation. They are not very heavy, as some people assume them to be. In fact, they are quite thin and lightweight, and offer lots of protection.
- Just like other types of foam insulation, these also have an enhanced R-value, which typically ranges from R-4 to R-7. This means twice or even thrice greater than insulating materials that have a similar thickness. A properly installed rigid foam board can form a complete barrier (covering wood studs and other parts of the wall) that reduces heat loss and air infiltration.
How to choose the right rigid foam board insulation?
- Rigid foam is one of the most versatile types of insulation. Though it can be used in nearly any part of your home’s thermal boundary, not all types are suitable to be used in every kind of application. Here are a few essential things to help you choose the right kind of rigid foam board:
- Discuss your budget, size of your home, typical climate with your insulation contractor or manufacture. Also discuss the parts of your home that you feel needs extra insulation protection, for example, the basement, etc. Since different rigid foam insulation boards have different R-values, it is always better to discuss everything with an experienced rigid foam insulation contractor in Canada. Further, it will only be effective if it is installed properly, which is why it is essential to hire an experienced and skilled contractor to do so.
Also See: Rigid Foam, Foam Insulation, Polyurethane Foam, Heat Loss, Rigid, Insulation, Foam
Several contractors and manufacturers offer rigid insulated foam panels made of rigid polyurethane foam, designed to be used as an affordable and durable slab insulation, under slab insulation and other installation types. They are available in multiple dimensions and have all the benefits of regular sprayed-on polyurethane foam, but in a clean, durable and portable solution.
Online Art Lessons
Visit us for hundreds of free online art lessons and classes. New tutorials added every week on how to draw and paint in Oil, Watercolour, Acrylic and more.