5 Most Interesting and Enchanting Places to Visit in Sikkim
Posted by Veena World Tour & Travels on December 28th, 2018
Located in the Northeastern part of India, the state of Sikkim is renowned for its biodiversity and multicultural community. It is bordered by Nepal in the west, Tibet in the north and northeast and West Bengal in the south. Sikkim boasts of a diverse landscape and houses the magnificent Kanchenjunga mountain range, which essentially is the highest peak in India and third highest across the globe.
In the beautiful state of Sikkim, mural-filled traditional monasteries essentially coexist with Hindu shrines. The magnificent structures belonging to the Buddhist and Nepali community adorn the skyline of this cosmopolitan destination. People can easily book a Sikkim tour package from any renowned travel and tourism agency in order to explore the spectacular tourist destinations of this state.
Here are some of the most interesting and enthralling sites of Sikkim that every traveller must visit:
• Gangtok: The capital city of Sikkim is nestled amidst the Eastern Himalayas and is known to be one of the most visited places of the state. It is extremely well connected to Siliguri/NJP, Darjeeling, Kalimpong, and other key travel hubs. This major urban destination houses incredible hotels, retail centers and restaurants serving exotic culinary delights. Gangtok stands on a ridge that is at about 5,500 feet in altitude, and hence remains sheathed in mesmerizing clouds. One can witness magnificent views of the surroundings from various parts of the city. The best way to admire the views of this city would be to take the ropeway that runs from Deorali to Tashiling Secretariat. Some of the major attractions of this city are the Hanuman Tok, lukshyama (royal crematorium), Namgyal Ressearch Institute of Tibetology and Deltin Denzong Casino.
• Yuksom: Lying to the West of Sikkim, this historical town is known to be the origin of various exciting treks into the Himalayas or the awe-inspiring Kanchenjunga. Yuksom is renowned for its distinct rustic charm and pristine beauty. This town is also referred to as the Meeting place of Three Lamas’, and essentially houses the oldest monastery of Sikkim. Yuksom is an ideal destination for going on a peaceful retreat.
• Tsomgo Lake: Also referred to as the Changu Lake, this key tourist destination is located at about 38km from Gangtok and lies at an altitude of 12,400ft. It is one of the highest lakes of the country. While this lake tends to stay frozen during the winters, in the summer season, on this lake one can catch the reflection of the mesmerizing views of the sky and nearby peaks.
• Nathula Pass: This was traditionally a part of the historic ‘Silk Road’, and is known to be the highest motorable pass across the globe. This pass lies at a height of 4,310m above the sea level, and connects Tibet with Sikkim. Although this pass is open to all Indians, ideally people have to obtain a specialized permission from the tourism department to visit this pass.
• Pelling: This Sikkimese town is located at a towering height of 7,200ft above the sea. It provides the best views of the Kanchenjunga Peak, and is well endowed with several waterfalls. Pelling offers opportunities for several adventurous activities like trekking, mountain biking, rafting, and kayaking.
People can book a Sikkim tour package from any renowned agency in order to explore the above mentioned travel attractions and many more.