How To Avoid Food Poisoning When We Travel
Posted by basshopper on January 15th, 2019
The high summer temperatures, the poor hygiene of the places where food has been treated, together with poor preservation are the main causes of food poisoning during travel. The reason is that these three contribute to the proliferation of toxic microorganisms that may have meat, fish, dairy, shellfish and eggs, as well as fruit and vegetables that have come into contact with contaminated water; microorganisms that especially affect children, the elderly, pregnant women and those who suffer some type of immune disorder.
This contamination of food can occur from its origin until the time of consumption. Therefore, we must be especially careful, especially if we travel to countries that lack strict sanitary regulations, such as those of, since poor hygiene promotes the production of these toxic microorganisms, such as Salmonella, E. Coli, Botulism or the Anisakis.
The symptoms of food poisoning usually appear between two and six hours after ingestion and the most common of which are nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea and fever.
Receive adequate medical attention and on time will allow you to avoid greater ills and enjoy your trip. Remember that abroad any healthcare can be expensive, even if it is a visit to the doctor. Therefore, it is advisable to purchase travel medical insurance against any type of medical assistance, including emergency interventions or repatriation. Travel insurances like those of InterMundial also include travel cancellation coverages or problems with luggage and transportation.
What Precautions Should Be Taken To Avoid Food Poisoning During The Trip?
* We have to avoid drinking tap water, as well as ice. Neither should we brush our teeth or wash food with water other than bottled water.
* Make sure everything is perfectly cooked, avoiding raw or semi- cooked foods. It is also advisable not to consume anything that comes from street vending, since, due to the health conditions, the food may be in poor condition.
* We must avoid all dairy, like ice cream, cheese and milk, which are not packaged and pasteurized.
* Before eating fruits and vegetables you have to wash them properly with clean water. Do not accept fruits that are already peeled.
* Take meat to the point, never raw, and only eat fish and shellfish that have been previously frozen, so you will avoid getting contaminated.
* Carefully clean dishes and utensils that may have had some contact with raw eggs, meat or fish.
* Any soft drink, in addition to water, has to be bottled.
* Of course, do not trust any kind of mushroom.
* Do not consume confectionery products that are not properly refrigerated.
* Since restaurants are obliged to replace the egg with egg products to avoid intoxications in sauces and other foods, they only eat in authorized establishments.Also See: Food Poisoning, Toxic Microorganisms, Poor Hygiene, Avoid Food, Food, Avoid, Water
FREE App - Earn up to 25¢/gal cash back on gas!
Download this FREE app and earn cash-back when you buy gas, groceries and food! 100% FREE to join and FREE to earn cash back on your everyday purchases!