Here?s Why Placerville Should Feature on Your List of Places to Visit in Califo
Posted by Miley Munroe on February 6th, 2019
The gold rush in California during the 1800s led to the development of many small settlements and towns. Placerville was one of them. The name “Placerville” came from the placer deposits of gold in the river beds and hills of the area. Although, it was formerly known as “Hangtown”, a name that it inherited from its notorious history of meting out vigilante justice by hanging. It was actually one of the first places in America to administer death by hanging as a form of punishment. A trip to Northern California would be incomplete without visiting this small town steeped in history. Believe it or not, for a small town such as this, it has numerous tourist attractions to offer visitors. There are also many hotels in Placerville that will provide you with the utmost comfort and convenience.
To further aid you in your decision about a trip to Placerville, here is a list of things that you can do and places that you can visit:
1. There is no better way for you to experience the rich history of this place than to take a stroll down the main street. The nineteenth-century architecture of the town is a reminder of its “gold rush past”. The Bell Tower is a noteworthy attraction. It was built in 1898 as a means for the citizens to quickly call the firemen in case of any fire.
2. The Gold Bug Park and Mine is the perfect place for you to relive the town’s gold mining history. It is the only gold mine in California that has opened its doors for visitors. The self-guided audio tour takes you on a journey to the days of the gold rush when the area was a hotbed for mining activities. The park also boasts of picnic grounds and hiking trails.
3. If you want to breathe in the freshness and beauty of nature, take a trip to the El Dorado National Forest. The forest offers picturesque lakes, breathtaking landscapes and a host of flora and fauna endemic to the region.
4. Placerville is also home to some of the finest wineries. You can join a tour group to go on an exciting wine tasting tour across the region. The town also is a pioneer of the idea of farm to fork. A farmers’ market every Saturday features organic produce, such as fruits, vegetables, and flowers grown by local farmers.
5. Apple Hill, which is located around 10 minutes away from the town, has dozens of apple orchards. Here, you can enjoy every possible product made from apples, whether it is pies, donuts, cider or wine.
6. Museums, galleries, and exhibits in Placerville will offer you a glimpse into the town’s past and its design for the future.
This small town has plenty to offer to all kinds of tourists. It is the perfect place to witness a blend of the ancient and the modern. For your accommodation needs, there are plenty of hotels and motels in Placerville, which will not fail to enhance your experience with the best of facilities and services. Placerville is easily accessible by road, air or rail from Sacramento.
Author’s bio: The author is a blogger. The article is about Placerville, California.
Like it? Share it!
About the AuthorMiley Munroe
Joined: August 9th, 2017
Articles Posted: 64
More by this author