Car Loan – Features and Benefits
Posted by neha sharma on May 8th, 2019
Getting your own car is easier these days with car finance being offered by all the major lenders. A car loan is the best option to get a car without being financially burdened by the cost. Getting car finance is easy and this type of loan can be applied for both online through the lender’s website or offline. Many car dealers have tie ups with financers who provide EMI schemes for purchase of cars.
Before you take a car loan however, it is important to
Features of a car loan:
- A lender finances around 70% to 80% of the ex-showroom price of the car. Any amount over and above that has to be financed by the loan applicant.
- There are different types of car finance that lenders give. These are:
- Loan for purchase of new car
- Loan for purchase of used car
- Loan against car
All of these types of loans are known as car finance and while opting for a car loan, you can opt for any of these.
- A car loan tenure is generally 3 to 5 years with a rate of interest between 9.5% to 11.5%
- A car loan is a secured loan. This means the car is hypothecated to the lender till the time the loan is repaid. It also means the name of the lender appears on the registration papers as the owner.
- These loans generally do not have foreclosure charges since it is a secured loan.
- Some lenders give other benefits such as accident cover and other insurance.
- A car loan is repaid in the form of installments every month. These installments can be calculated using a car loan EMI calculator.
- One of the important criteria for getting a car loan is the income earned by the loan applicant during a month. Each lender has their own minimum income requirements that need to be met for approving a car loan application.
Benefits of car finance:
- Car finance is available at a reasonable rate of interest. Since the loan is secured, the interest rate is low, making the installments affordable.
- The loan tenure can generally be fixed by the loan applicant. This can help to keep the monthly installments under control.
- If you have a good relationship with the lender, they can agree to finance a larger percentage of the purchase price of the car.
- Even though the car is hypothecated to the lender, you can use the car.
- In case of dealer tie ups with the lender, it is possible to get car finance at a lower rate of interest and with better terms and conditions as compared to a regular lender. It is better to inquire with the dealer about such offers while considering a car purchase. These deals generally have offers such as low cost EMIs, waiver of a few EMIs, lower rate of interest or zero interest EMIs. However, these offers should be opted for after completely examining the terms and conditions related to the loan.
Neha Sharma is a finance student who loves to write in her free time. She has spent considerable time researching about car loan. Through her work, she has explained its features and benefits