Getting a Salvage Title with a Bill of Sale

Posted by Angel on September 4th, 2019

The state Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) makes use of salvage auto titles in tracking cars that may have suffered serious accidents or damages in the past and are already written off as a complete loss by an insurance company. The damage can be completely cosmetic, such as extensive as bent frames, or hail damage. Several states require individuals who own cars with salvage titles to submit the car for an inspection to determine if it is roadworthy before they can issue registration and license for the car. If you purchase a salvage car, your state will require you to order a replacement title if you didn’t get any at the time of purchase. 

How to Get a Salvage Title with a Bill of Sale

  1. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Locate and record the car’s VIN. The VIN contains numbers and letters which is used to identify the car. This number is most easily accessible underneath the windshield in the lower passenger-side corner. You will need the VIN information in order to get a replacement salvage title.

  1. Vehicle Make and Model

Write down the model, make, the car’s odometer reading and manufacturing year of the car. You will need all these details to apply for a new title for the car.

  1. Relevant Agency

Find out the agency that provides replacement titles in your state. In some states, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles this service, while in some states, the owner has to contact the state secretary of state or state treasury department in their state.

  1. Apply for a Title

Apply for a replacement title from your state agency that is in charge of issuing the replacement title. Fill the application form including all details about the vehicle, and if required, include a copy of the bill of sale. Indicate that you didn’t receive any car title at the time of purchase. 

  1. Sign

Sign the application for the replacement in the presence of a notary, if that’s required by your state. Pay the required application fee and submit your application. If the car was marked as a salvage title, your state authority will issue a salvage title for you.  

You must however, note that some state considers selling a car without title as illegal, whether salvaged or clean. If this is the case in your state, you will need the car’s previous owner. You can contact the dealer or the insurance company from which you bought the car in order to receive a replacement title that will be signed over to you to complete the sale. Find out more at

Like it? Share it!


About the Author

Joined: August 28th, 2019
Articles Posted: 10

More by this author