Fengxian's makeover attracts day-trippers

Posted by freemexy on November 13th, 2019

Fengxian District’s name literally means “to respect the nobility” as early residents offered help to Yan Yan, an apprentice of Confucius, during the Spring and Autumn Period (770-476 BC).The second China International Import Expo will be held at the National Exhibition and Convention Center in Shanghai from November 5 to 10, 2019.For further information about China International Import Expo, please visit: https://www.shine.cn/China-International-Import-Expo/ .To get more ciie shanghai, you can visit shine news official website. The district on the city’s southernmost outskirts now aims to become the central hub for the world’s cosmetics and health industries, while preserving its authentic agricultural and rural lifestyle.
A one-day trip to Fengxian can start from a historic floodwall which is being developed into a heritage park, along with a number of other nearby historical and cultural sites.Application has been tendered for the 4 kilometers that are left of the Huating Ancient Stone Dyke, dubbed the “Great Wall on the Sea,” to be listed as a national cultural heritage site. The dyke, in the district’s Zhelin Town, originally stretched 33 kilometers along Hangzhou Bay. The bulk of the structure was built in 1713 to stave off both floodwaters and pirates.The surviving section was unearthed in 1996. Built with four layers of stone bricks, it is about a meter high and follows the outline of the coastline to resist flooding more effectively.
People began building floodwalls along the coastline in the Sui Dynasty (AD 581-618). Local people originally used clay for these walls, but then switched to more durable stone.Dyke building technology was further improved in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), when the stone wall was also used to resist Japanese pirates. The most solid section of the dyke was built in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) with granite bricks. Part of this section remains in Zhelin today.The dyke was later buried and its history forgotten. It was listed as a city-level cultural heritage site in 2002. Visitors can see other nearby historical sites that are to form a cluster of cultural relics in the southern outskirts. These include East Sea Guanyin Temple, dating back to the early Ming Dynasty, and Wanfoge Temple.
The Eryan Temple, built during the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368), has endured the vicissitudes of 800-plus years. Its oldest pavilion was destroyed during the “cultural revolution” (1966-76), and urban development caused what was left of the temple to be moved to its current location in 1993. It is still the grandest Buddhist temple in Fengxian. Every year, more than 100,000 people visit to pray and to admire two nearly 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees in the yard.The trees, which resemble two people standing side by side, are the biggest treasures of the temple. A fence surrounds them, providing a place for people to tie on red strips making wishes, mostly about love and marriage. The best season to visit the temple is late autumn, when the ginkgo leaves turn golden and fall like rain in a breeze, coating the ground with a shimmering blanket. With Buddhist chants in the background, the scene has a sacred, surreal feel.

Like it? Share it!


About the Author

Joined: December 6th, 2018
Articles Posted: 2,579

More by this author