What Are Some Major Security Failures in IoT History?
Here are a few real-life examples of incidents related to IoT and related security failures. These cases could have been avoided with the appropriate security protocols and enterprise investments seeking proactive solutions.
- One of the earliest IoT attacks was Stuxnet in 2010, which targeted a “smart” industrial controller utilized in nuclear facilities. The malware destroyed almost one-quarter of the centrifuges, which brought a nuclear program into halt for the next two years.
- In 2015, a Russian IoT malware brought significant impact to the electrical grids of Ukraine, leaving 230,000 people without power.
- In the following year, the famous Mirai botnet incident took place in the IoT history. Nearly 360,000 servers of Dyn servers were impacted, taking down multiple high-traffic websites.Mirai identified and infected vulnerable IoT devices. The devices were not infected until they were rebooted.
- In 2017, a hacker got access to 200,000 open printers and printed over the Internet affecting over 150,000 printers.
- Following the Mirai botnet incident, a subsequent attack took place in January 2018. Okiru, which is a variant of Mirai malware, targeted ARC processors embedded in billions of IoT products.