Basics of Video Resumes
Posted by jobma12 on August 13th, 2013
A video resume is a short video, usually around 60 seconds long, that job seekers can upload to their professional profiles in order to showcase their soft skills and introduce their work experience to employers. How to make a video resume? To make your video resume as professional and captivating as possible, be sure to follow these guidelines:
- Think of your video resume as an interview. Be sure to wear professional attire and be well groomed.
- Choose a location with a clean, professional background and good lighting. Also pay attention to the sound quality offered by different locations.
- Do not just read from your resume! Instead, offer the employer new information, expand upon something you only mention on your resume, or at least reword the information. Providing work experiences, examples of professional goals you accomplished, or offering ways in which the company would benefit from your employment are all appropriate topics to consider when shooting your video resume.
- Don’t expect the first shot to be perfect. Be prepared to shoot your video resume several times until you have one that you are satisfied with.
- Remember to sit up straight and smile while you’re talking. You want to appear engaged and excited about this potential position.
- If you have and know how to use video editing software, then use it!
- Always end your video resume by thanking the employer for taking the time to view your video.
To optimize your success, consider using a video resume platform that allows you to create and upload multiple video resumes. By doing so, you can further customize your videos for the different types of positions you are applying for or to the specific companies at which you’d like to work. Visit Jobma for a platform that offers this kind of feature.
Besides Jobma, other top video resume websites include Talent Rooster, VidRes, RezBuzz, MyWorkster, and WorkBlast. These sites differ in their prices and features, so be sure to do your research in order to find the platform that can best fit your unique needs.
Once you’ve created your video resume, utilize the platform’s sharing capabilities to broadcast your profile and video resume across your professional networks. Include a link to your video resume on your text resume and within your cover letter. You can also send this link to employers via email. Lastly, consider utilizing your social media accounts as avenues in which you can further spread your profile.
The author of this article is associated with Jobma. Visit www.jobma.com today to create a free Jobma profile and get started with creating a video resume. Also be sure to visit blog.jobma.com for helpful tips and resources to assist you in the process.