Effective Leadership: A 22 Question Leadership Test
Posted by Nick Niesen on October 26th, 2010
Copyright 2006 Colleen Kettenhofen
?Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.? John Wooden
There?s a big difference between just being a team leader, and leading so that people will willingly want to follow you. The real leadership test is influence. For example, what if you were employed with a volunteer organization, and your employees? livelihoods, perks and benefits were not based on whether or not they did what you asked? Would they still do as you say? Do you think they admire, respect and trust you as a role model, mentor and team leader?
Leadership Test: Below are 22 questions to ask yourself about how you are performing as a leader. Do you demonstrate honesty, credibility and competence? You may also want to pass this leadership assessment on to your team. How well are they performing compared with other team members? Consider using this leadership test in performance reviews and for discussions in meetings.
1. As a team leader, how do I show that I am honest? Do I do what I say I am going to do?
2. Do I make competence, character and credibility priorities? How?
3. Do I listen effectively to others with an open mind even when I may disagree?
4. How do I demonstrate honest yet tactful communication with team members?
5. Do I demonstrate good people skills, or effective leadership skills with my team?
6. How am I thoughtful and considerate of others in the department?
7. How do I demonstrate my vision and the organization?s vision in a way that others clearly can understand?
8. Do employees see how this vision applies to them and to the big picture?
9. Do I understand my own goals and how they tie in with organizational goals?
10. Are the company goals and my individual goals specific, measurable and in writing?
11. How do I take responsibility for my own job?
12. Am I proactive in taking on or looking for additional responsibility?
13. How do I tactfully suggest better ways of doing things?
14. How do I offer ideas for improvement without putting others on the defensive?
15. Do I show up on time for work and begin work immediately in a way that contributes to the team?
16. Am I alert and ?mentally? present for work?
17. How do I work to promote better morale with my team and other departments?
18. How would I grade the overall quality of my work?
19. Do I complete assignments on time and without being negative?
20. How do I put forth my best in producing a product or service in which others can take pride?
21. Have I received leadership training in the area of conflict resolution?
22. Am I open to leadership training in the areas of personal and professional development? If I've received this type of training, am I applying the skills learned?
Go back and reread the first five questions of this leadership test. As a team leader or manager, how are you demonstrating character, honesty, and credibility? I?ve found that in conducting leadership training worldwide, these are key characteristics employees want to see for them to willingly WANT to follow their leader. Were you able to answer "yes" to most of the questions? How would other team leaders in your organization score?
Remember, if people know they can trust you, they?ll follow you.
?Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.? General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
About the AuthorNick Niesen
Joined: April 29th, 2015
Articles Posted: 33,848
Uhive A New Era of Social Networking
Introduces a new dimension to the world of decentralized social media based on crypto!
BitKong: Fairest and most thrilling Bitcoin casino on the market
Win serious funds fast when you stack the BitKong bonus combo, cash in on the referral program, or hit the massive jackpot then walk away with your life changed.
The World's Leading Crypto Asset Trading Platform
YoBit Crypto Exchange
Register Now and get 1700 Free Dollars! Buy and sell Ethereum (ETH) on YoBit Exchange!
CryptoBits.Directory - Your Gateway to Crypto!
Directory filled with some of the best crypto based websites and exchanges available! Signup and get a copy of your own free referral directory!
The ONLY Vital Credit Card
Earn 5% Cash Back on all of your purchases plus additional cashback for sharing the offer with your friends and family! This is the ONLY credit card you need! Competitive APR's, No annual fee, Elegant Metal Card Design!