Effective Leadership: A 22 Question Leadership Test
Posted by Nick Niesen on October 26th, 2010
Copyright 2006 Colleen Kettenhofen
?Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.? John Wooden
There?s a big difference between just being a team leader, and leading so that people will willingly want to follow you. The real leadership test is influence. For example, what if you were employed with a volunteer organization, and your employees? livelihoods, perks and benefits were not based on whether or not they did what you asked? Would they still do as you say? Do you think they admire, respect and trust you as a role model, mentor and team leader?
Leadership Test: Below are 22 questions to ask yourself about how you are performing as a leader. Do you demonstrate honesty, credibility and competence? You may also want to pass this leadership assessment on to your team. How well are they performing compared with other team members? Consider using this leadership test in performance reviews and for discussions in meetings.
1. As a team leader, how do I show that I am honest? Do I do what I say I am going to do?
2. Do I make competence, character and credibility priorities? How?
3. Do I listen effectively to others with an open mind even when I may disagree?
4. How do I demonstrate honest yet tactful communication with team members?
5. Do I demonstrate good people skills, or effective leadership skills with my team?
6. How am I thoughtful and considerate of others in the department?
7. How do I demonstrate my vision and the organization?s vision in a way that others clearly can understand?
8. Do employees see how this vision applies to them and to the big picture?
9. Do I understand my own goals and how they tie in with organizational goals?
10. Are the company goals and my individual goals specific, measurable and in writing?
11. How do I take responsibility for my own job?
12. Am I proactive in taking on or looking for additional responsibility?
13. How do I tactfully suggest better ways of doing things?
14. How do I offer ideas for improvement without putting others on the defensive?
15. Do I show up on time for work and begin work immediately in a way that contributes to the team?
16. Am I alert and ?mentally? present for work?
17. How do I work to promote better morale with my team and other departments?
18. How would I grade the overall quality of my work?
19. Do I complete assignments on time and without being negative?
20. How do I put forth my best in producing a product or service in which others can take pride?
21. Have I received leadership training in the area of conflict resolution?
22. Am I open to leadership training in the areas of personal and professional development? If I've received this type of training, am I applying the skills learned?
Go back and reread the first five questions of this leadership test. As a team leader or manager, how are you demonstrating character, honesty, and credibility? I?ve found that in conducting leadership training worldwide, these are key characteristics employees want to see for them to willingly WANT to follow their leader. Were you able to answer "yes" to most of the questions? How would other team leaders in your organization score?
Remember, if people know they can trust you, they?ll follow you.
?Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.? General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
About the AuthorNick Niesen
Joined: April 29th, 2015
Articles Posted: 33,848
Claim 1 FREE Stock! No Purchase Necessary!
You have a 100% chance of receiving one free stock! Click to claim and have a chance to get one share of Facebook, Visa, Microsoft and others for free!
FREE App - Earn up to 25¢/gal cash back on gas!
Download this FREE app and earn cash-back when you buy gas, groceries and food! 100% FREE to join and FREE to earn cash back on your everyday purchases!
Quality Office Furniture USA Shipped Direct - Madison Liquidators
Nationwide vendor of quality office furnishings including Desks, Office Chairs, Conference Tables, Cubicles and more!
Earn HNT Tokens with a Helium Hotspot!
Pre-Order a Helium hotspot and earn HNT tokens that are redeemable for USD. Set it and forget it!
Lolli: Earn Free Bitcoin When You Shop Online!
Lolli is a rewards application that gives you bitcoin for shopping at your favorite online stores.
Fold - Earn free bitcoin when you shop
Earn bitcoin cashback rewards when you shop at top retailers, including Amazon, Uber, Starbucks, Chipotle, and more. Download the app, sync your payment method and start earning bitcoin today!