What is food packaging design?
Posted by sere on December 4th, 2020
What is food packaging design?
Food packaging is one of the components of food products. One of the major processes in the food industry. It protects the food and prevents the damage caused by biological, chemical and physical foreign factors during the circulation of the food from the factory to the hands of consumers. It also has the function of maintaining the stable quality of the food itself and facilitates the consumption of food.
Food packaging design is the first to show the appearance of food, to attract the image of consumption, has the value of material costs. Therefore, the food packaging process is also an integral part of the food manufacturing system engineering. For a product, it is a kind of visual image display, which is the key to consumers' first impression of the product. It is not only necessary to perfectly reflect the concept, selling point, style and audience scope of the product, so as to classify the corresponding audience into the consumption circle, but also need to add some planning and design ideas, so as to increase the packaging highlights and attract some non-potential consumers.
(I) Contents to be included in the package design
According to the Provisions of the National Product Quality Law and other laws and regulations passed by the Seventh National People's Congress on February 22, 1993, the following aspects shall be used as labels on product packages:
1. The products should have the inspection certificate.
2. The product name, factory name and factory address marked in Chinese. Imported products sold on the domestic market must be marked in Chinese.
3. Specifications and grades of the products shall be indicated according to the characteristics and requirements of the products, and the names and contents of the main ingredients shall be indicated.
4. The production date or expiration date shall be indicated for the products restricted in use, and the production date, warranty period or storage period shall be indicated for the packaged food.
5. Warning marks or instructions in Chinese should be provided for products that are likely to cause damage to the products themselves or may endanger the safety of human life and property.
6. For trademarks approved for registration by the department of Industry and Commerce, the mark shall be Register or "note".
7. Where a patent has been granted by the patent department, it may be indicated on the product.
8. The manufacturer shall indicate the code number, serial number and name of the implemented standard on the package (product or its description).
9. For the products that have obtained the relevant national quality certification, the corresponding safety or conformity certification mark may be used on the package.
10. Bar code - The State Administration of Technical Supervision has clearly stipulated that all commodities entering the market must be barcoded.
(2) Special provisions in packaging design
1. Glass bottles of beer should be marked with warnings such as "Do not crash, prevent explosion"
According to the General Rules on the Labeling of Pre-packaged Drinks jointly issued by the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) and the National Standards Commission, from October 1, 2007, glass bottles of beer are required to be marked with warnings such as "Do not crash, prevent bursting".
2. Don't use the word "fresh" carelessly
The new rules require that all pre-packaged food processed by heat should not be named "fresh XX". The pasteurized milk which is heated to 75℃-80℃ and the normal temperature milk which is instantly heated and disinfected by 137℃ cannot be called "fresh milk" any more.
For example, some merchants call drinks with only part juice "fresh juice". In the future, the word "fresh" may disappear from the labels of most juice drinks.
3. Urge warnings such as "Excessive drinking is harmful to health" to be printed on wine bottles
According to the regulation, alcohol warnings such as "excessive drinking is harmful to health", "Do not drive after drinking alcohol" and "pregnant women and children should not drink alcohol" should be on the packaging of drinks with alcohol concentration greater than 0.5 degrees Celsius, including beer, wine, fruit wine and liquor. The requirement of warning words on beverage and liquor labels belongs to the national mandatory standards for products.
(3) Relevant laws and regulations on food packaging design
In October 2006, two new national standards for mandatory food labeling "General Rules for Pre-packaged Special Dietary Food Labeling" (commonly known as "Ban on Fresh Food") will be formally implemented. Food that does not meet the requirements of the standards shall not be marketed.
1. Label naming must be authentic
The new regulations require: labels can be labeled with "new name", "strange name", "transliterated name", etc., but the name or equivalent name specified in the national standard or industry standard shall be marked in the adjacent part of the shown name; In the absence of national or industrial standards, common names that reflect the true nature of the food and do not mislead consumers shall be marked.
For example, next to the "yogurt" label, use similar-sized text to indicate that its real property name is "sour milk."
2. Foreign languages should be smaller than Chinese characters
In addition to registered trademarks, food packaging must use standard Chinese characters, while the phonetic alphabet, foreign language or Chinese characters used in the publishing of books must not be larger than the corresponding Chinese characters, according to the new rules.
For example, if the outer package of imported food is greater than 20 square centimeters, the height of the characters, symbols and numbers on the labels should not be less than 1.8 centimeters. The Chinese characters in the label must correspond closely with the foreign language, and the Chinese characters must not be smaller than the corresponding foreign language.
3. The production date cannot be glued
The new rules require that food be marked with a production date, the date on which a finished product produced by a producer passes factory inspection. The production date should indicate the specific location of the packaging, and the general "see outside packaging" should not be used.
For example: some enterprises produced products, the date after sealing, sterilization, cooling is May 1, 2005, its inspection needs 5 days, but the production date will be printed on May 10, 2005. Finally, it went on sale in retail stores on May 8th. This is a false production date and the enterprise should be punished. In order to prevent the distributor from changing the date of production, information such as the date of production and shelf life must be printed or printed on the package, rather than pasted directly on a piece of adhesive paper.
4. Gm food should be noted
The new regulation requires food listed in the Regulations on labeling Of Genetically modified Organisms (Gmos) issued by the Ministry of Agriculture to be labeled as "GENETICALLY modified food".
For example, common GM foods mainly include soybean powder, soybean oil, corn oil, rapeseed oil, rapeseed meal, fresh tomato and tomato paste, etc.
Oil made from GM soybeans should also bear the words "GM soybean oil" on the label.
5. Words that suggest efficacy should not be used
The new rules require special dietary foods (such as those for infants and children, and those for people with diabetes) to be labeled with nutrients, or nutrition labels. The contents that should not be labeled include: "preventing" or "treating" a certain disease.
For example, food labels should not include "rejuvenating", "prolonging life", "gray hair turning black", "tooth decay", "anti-cancer treatment", "ancestral secret recipe", "tonic food", "bodybuilding food", "palace food" and other similar words; Nor should a food be preceded by a drug name or drug pattern, a name that suggests efficacy, health care, or other similar effects.
6. Write the name of the preservative
The new rules require food ingredients to be listed in decreasing order of the amount added to processed foods.
For example, water, which accounts for a large proportion of drinks, must be marked in the future. Sweeteners, preservatives and colorants shall be labeled with specific names or codes.
The new rules require infant formula to be labeled with nutrients, calories, method of consumption and suitable population. The label of imported infant formula milk powder should indicate "country of origin or region", etc.
7. The product name and size should be the same
The new rules require that the authenticity of food labels be further strengthened and that consumers are not allowed to be deceived by using product names to confuse the real attributes of food.
For example, "orange juice" and "beverage" in "orange juice" should use the same font size, and the labels should not confuse consumers.
Food packaging function: In the modern development, food is basically sold after packaging and then transferred to the hands of consumers. Packaging has been increasingly integrated with commodities and is the medium and means to realize the value of urban commodities.
1. Beautification. Many products, especially food, do not have any visual aesthetic feeling in themselves.
2. Promotion. According to western research on buying behavior, about 60% of people who buy goods are stimulated by "product packaging".
3. Other functions: convenient and hygienic. Different from other commodities, food packaging plays a hygienic and healthy role in convenient production, sales and transportation, and can prevent external pollution, thus prolonging its life.
The food packaging image on the market is various, and the style is also very different, but summed up, packaging design, there are roughly the following several components.
Composition refers to a complete picture of the combination of trademarks, graphics and words on the picture in packaging design. None of these three elements is indispensable. Perfect layout and proper use of color can become an excellent design work.
1. Trademark design, trademark can almost be said to be an overall symbol of the brand, a symbol of goods and even the image of the enterprise. Trademark is a relevant arts and crafts, it needs to be highly inductive, easy to understand and easy to remember, so that the audience can remember it in the shortest time.
2. The graphic design
Graphic design is often not necessary for packaging design. For example, the design of a shop on Taobao is just simple colors and signs, without any graphic embellishments. Because the product sold is tea, it looks very stable and dignified. So this kind of bold design is not suitable for all packaging oh, how to use the pattern, still need to design according to the product characteristics and brand behavior.
Generally speaking, graphics can be expressed through painting, photography light techniques. Some cartoon characters, ink paintings and oil paintings we see are represented by painting, while those representing characters and scenery photos are represented by photography. Compared with the two, the style is different. The former is lively and retro, while the latter is more used to endorse the products of stars, which is more realistic.
3. Color design
The choice of colour and collocation affect the temperament and style of whole package directly, also corresponding to different consumer group. Of course, its use, is also closely related to the whole picture design conception, composition, can not be independent of them.
4. Character design
Text design is the most easily neglected part in the whole package design, but often, text can not only convey relevant information to consumers directly and accurately, font design is also a symbol to express a certain theme, reflecting the overall style of the package. Font design must be considered as part of the package design.
Of course, if some planning thinking can be integrated into packaging design to form interaction with consumers and increase consumer experience, this is also a direction. In a word, no matter planning or creativity, packaging design of goods should be based on the attributes of goods and thinking from the standpoint of consumers. In this way, the designed product packaging is not only visually good-looking, but also can be favored by consumers, can be regarded as a real success.
If you;re sourcing for food packaging designg to catch your customers' attention, contact Huihua for perfect solution.
Like it? Share it!
About the Authorsere
Joined: June 6th, 2019
Articles Posted: 740
More by this author