If you are about to get a dental implant, your head might pop the most common question, What is Dental Implant? The question does not end there, what follows is a list of questions ranging from How, When, Why?
Dr. Rajat Sachdeva, here has answers to the most frequent questions one might have before opting for a Dental Implant Procedure.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental Implant is a prosthesis used for replacing a missing tooth. Infact of all the replacement options available for replacing a missing tooth, a dental implant is the one which most closely mimics a natural tooth.
Essentially it is a small fixature/post of titanium that is inserted into the jaw bone and thus serving as a missing tooth’s roots.
On top of this fixature the dentist can attach;
- A SINGLE CROWN
- A FIXED BRIDGE
- PARTIAL DENTURE
- COMPLETE DENTURE
Once the implant integrates to the bone, the dentist connects a structure known as an abutment to your implant and then attaches your artificial tooth or teeth. So, there are three parts to the process — the implant, the abutment and the artificial tooth.
Are Dental Implants Safe?
Although the concept of implant dentistry may be a slightly new procedure in India but dentists over the world have been using this as a hallmark procedure for tooth replacement for more than half a century. As a leading implantologist I say ‘Yes it is Safe and effective’.
Saying this, the implant procedure must be performed by a skilled, well trained implant dentist to further minimize any complications which might arise.
When should one resort to Dental Implants?
A Dentist resorts to Dental implants in the following conditions;
- TO REPLACE ISOLATED MISSING TEETH: MANY INDIVIDUALS FIND THEMSELVES WITH A BROKEN OR DECAYED TOOTH THAT RESTORATIVE DENTAL PROCEDURES, SUCH AS ROOT CANALS, CROWNS AND FILLINGS, CAN’T SAVE. THEY END UP NEEDING TO HAVE THE TOOTH REMOVED BEFORE INFECTION PROGRESSES.
- TO REPLACE MULTIPLE TEETH: SINCE DENTAL IMPLANTS ARE INCREDIBLY RESISTANT, THEY’RE SUCCESSFULLY USED FOR STABILIZING DENTAL BRIDGES.
- FOR THEIR SUSTAINABILITY: ONE DENTAL IMPLANT THAT IS WELL TAKEN CARE OF CAN LAST THE PATIENT A LIFETIME.
- FOR THEIR AESTHETICS: IMPLANTS ARE MADE TO LOOK LIKE NATURAL TEETH, MAKING THEM VERY AESTHETICALLY PLEASING. UNLIKE THE OTHER TOOTH REPLACEMENT OPTIONS, DENTAL IMPLANTS DON’T SLIP OR CLICK WHILE TALKING, LAUGHING OR EATING. AND THEY HELP KEEP THE JAWBONE HEALTHY, SO THAT YOUR FACIAL STRUCTURE STAYS INTACT.
- WHAT MATERIAL IS THE IMPLANT MADE OF?
Titanium in most cases is the most sought material for making Dental Implants. Titanium is preferred due to its high resistance and biocompatibility to the body.
Who is an ideal Candidate?
We believe anyone who is healthy enough to undergo routine dental extraction or oral surgery can be considered for Dental Implant. Most people are excellent candidates, but there are qualifications and precautions that make a successful dental implant more likely.
- GUMS AND ORAL TISSUES SHOULD BE IN GOOD HEALTH.
- ADEQUATE BONE DENSITY TO SUPPORT THE IMPLANT OR SUITABLE FOR BONE GRAFT.
- A NON SMOKER OR WILLING TO QUIT SMOKING.
- GOOD ORAL HYGIENE AND MAINTAINING IT
- NO PREDISPOSING HEALTH CONDITIONS THAT WOULD HAMPER THE HEALING PROCESS AFTER IMPLANT PLACEMENT (DIABETES, HEART CONDITIONS, RADIATION).
- PEOPLE WHO TAKE CERTAIN MEDICATIONS LIKE STEROIDS OR DRUGS WHICH SUPPRESS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM.
- PREGNANCY PLACES YOU AT A RISK.
- CERTAIN HABITS LIKE SEVERE GRINDING OF TEETH OR CLENCHING OF TEETH WHICH MAY PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE IMPLANT AND CAUSE LONG TERM DAMAGE.
- A YOUNG PERSON WITH A GROWING JAWBONE IS NOT AN IDEAL CANDIDATE.
- HAVING PATIENCE WITH THE PROCESS THAT MIGHT TAKE UP TIME TO BE COMPLETED.
What are the treatment timescales?
From the initial examination till the placement of the final prosthesis the timescales for the treatment vary from four to twelve months. In general the complexity of the case determines the treatment time frame.
Until what age can implants be inserted?
As such there are no age limitations. Implant placement depends on conditions such as the jaw should be fully developed and secondly there should be no contradicted risk factors.
How long do Implants last?
Dental implants can last a lifetime when taken good care of. Good care here is referred to maintaining good oral hygiene and regular follow ups with your dentist.
Is the procedure painful?
Most implant procedures hurt less than a tooth extraction. when performed under a skillful team it’s often painless. The post surgical pain can be managed by the help of painkillers.
How much do Implants Cost?
It is difficult to give a budget estimate, because the cost of an implant treatment varies according to the complexity of the clinical case.
The cost of dental implant treatment depends upon
- THE AMOUNT, QUALITY, AND LOCATION OF BONE
- THE NUMBER OF DENTAL IMPLANTS YOU’LL NEED TO SUPPORT THE TEETH
- THE TYPE OF ARTIFICIAL TEETH THE DENTIST WILL USE
- THE TYPES OF DENTAL IMPLANTS USED
what is the success rate of Dental Implants?
As for all surgical procedures, a success rate of 100% does not exist. However, the failure rate is very low. Success depends on several criteria: the bone quality, the surgeon’s expertise, the absence of risk factors, the patient’s oral-dental hygiene and professional follow-up.
Why choose Dr. Rajat Sachdeva’s Dental over another clinic?
We at Dr. Rajat Sachdeva’s Dental Clinic in Delhi are committed to providing quality dental care in a warm and compassionate manner. We have a team that is efficiently skilled to carry out any implant procedures and doesn’t shy away from any challenges put forward. We have the best of the technology to offer and use the most respected implant systems to provide you with the best results.