All you need to know about value education and life skills
Posted by pooja late on September 24th, 2019
The abilities for adaptive and positive behavior that enables individuals to deal effectively with the demands and challenges of everyday life are called life skills.
Life skills education
Life skills education is the process of cultivating life skills through education to develop a better human-being. Early identification of problems and early intervention and support at key moments in the lives of young people is vital. The life skills education deals mainly with the development needs and aspirations of the individuals. They also deal with the development of psychosocial abilities and to enhance the capabilities and enlarge choices.
Important life skills:
There are a few important life skills that are mandatory in life skills education. They are
- Problem-solving skills
- Decision-making skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Creative thinking
- Communication skills
- Stress management
- Social skills
- Interpersonal skills
Purpose of life skills
- Life skills have a major responsibility for removing stage fear from oneself. This helps us to express our thoughts and views with more confidence.
- They help in developing positive social skills and etiquette.
- Life skills develop the work ethics in oneself which reflects a great career.
- They help in learning new job interview skills which are lacking in a few youngsters.
- They train us to listen, speak and understand the English language better than before.
- They completely change us with more self-confidence and self-motivated person.
Method of Life skills education
- Dynamic teaching and dynamic learning
- Working in small groups and pairs
- Experimental learning
- Games and debates
- Home assignments, to further discuss and practice with family and friends.
Benefits of life skills for an individual
- They help us in finding new ways of thinking and problem-solving.
- Recognize their actions and help them be responsible for their actions without blaming others.
- They help in building self-confidence which is a key to success.
- Develop a greater sense of self-awareness and appreciation for others.
Benefits for the employment
- It develops the ability to self-manage, solve problems and understand the business environment.
- It helps to prove you as an excellent team player.
- Projects you as a potential leader employee.
- Adaptable and flexible to changing the work environment.
Benefits for the society
- They help in recognizing cultural differences.
- Respecting diversity develops creativity and imagination to develop a more tolerant city.
- Develop negotiation skills that help to build resolutions rather than resentments.
The process of giving more values to each other is called value education. The purpose of value education is to understand the living standards and dignity and behavior while living within society. The value education concentrates on human values, social values, and cultural values, religious values, and ethical values, global and spiritual values. There are two main classifications of value education namely,
- Implicit value education
- Explicit value education.
Objectives of value education
- They help in improving the integral growth of human beings.
- They help to understand the importance of values and their significant roles.
Value education and life skills are the most important for a person to prove him/her as a better human being in society.